Nothing is more comforting than an average banana muffin! I’m kind of muffin obsessed as it is – but even more obsessed with banana muffins. I’m always on the search for a simple recipe that I can whip up when I have some brown banana’s laying around. I think I finally created one that will be a staple in my home! I hope you enjoy it.
basic healthy banana muffins
(gluten-free, vegan option, no refined sugar)
- 3 medium-large brown bananas
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs for vegan option)*
- 1/3 c unsweetened apple sauce**
- 1/3 c coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c gluten free baking flour (or normal white flour)
- 1 c gluten free instant oats (or normal)
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
* Flax egg = 1 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water soaked for 5 mins
** A few of these ingredients are really just optional but I like to add them for more nutrients and a richer taste. For example, you don’t need the apple sauce, and you can add more sugar. These are pretty forgiving and simple tasting. They would also be great with added nuts, chocolate chips, dry fruit, flax seeds, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups or oil.
- Mash bananas with a fork & then use a hand mixer to liquify. Add other wet ingredients (eggs, applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup, & vanilla) and mix until combined.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt), then add to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- The mixture will be thick, it should not be on the liquid-y side. Add more oats/flour if too runny. Fill muffin tins equally.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.